Sunday, December 11, 2011

The Ad Bits Holiday Gift Guide

Well, it's that time of the year. The time to spend lot's of money giving out stuff that you're not sure people will even like. So, to avert a disaster, I've decided to put together a gift guide geared towards advertising people (professionals and students). I think I put a pretty good list together that should suit the needs of anyone looking for a really cool gift to give an advertising person. It's all after the break.

Books
On Ad Bits, I post a lot of book reviews. I love reading advertising and design books. So, I thought that I would share some recommendations with you of books that would make excellent holiday gifts.

D&AD 2011 Annual
It was another great year in advertising. A lot of great ads were made and many of those were honoured by the D&AD. The 2011 Annual shows off some of the best advertising of the year, and is a great coffee table book. Any advertising student or professional can find tons of great ads in it for inspiration and for fun. Just don't try it as a stocking stuffer- you would need a really big one in order for it to work.








The Copy BookThis is another amazing coffee table book. If you know someone who is a copywriter, or an aspiring copywriter, then this book is perfect for them. Not only does it have a really cool cover, but it also has great information inside with full size reproductions of famous ads. Famous copywriters are interviewed about how they come up with their ads. This is the new and expanded edition. This book is must gift for copywriters.











Perfect Pitch
This book is not only a great read that is a lot of fun, but, it is also extremely helpful. It provides excellent examples of real life situations and tips about how to make your presentation a lot better. But, don't take my word for it. Actually, you should. I did write a review back in the summer time. You can read that review here.













The Idea Writers
This book may seem like it;s only for writers, but it's not. It's got great information in it about how campaigns are changing and the role that a copywriter plays in the generation of those ideas. It is an extremely informative and fun to read book, completely loaded with valuable information. You can read my review of The Idea Writers here.
















The New Big Book of Layouts
Don't worry art directors, I haven't forgot about you. The New Big Book of Layouts is an excellent reference book. It's got tons of different kinds of layouts from ads to books to websites. Yes, it is meant to be for graphic designers, but I think that any good art director will be able to get really good use out of this book. There are some really great designs in here that will be sure to inspire anyone with even the worst kind of creative mental block.





All of these books are available from Amazon. I won't put a link in because I know many readers are not from Canada and would rather purchase from their local Amazon, which makes a lot more sense.

T-Shirts
I love really cool t-shirts. I think they make a great gift, especially when they relate so well to the person you are giving the gift to. I've found some really cool designs that I think anyone in advertising would love. They are all available at Redbubble.




Creativity
This t-shirt is perfect for anyone who is creative.
It's funny, and says a lot about them. If you know someone who is like this, get them this t-shirt.

















The Font Snob
If you know someone who loves typefaces, then this is the perfect t-shirt for them (art directors).

















Photoshop
This is just a great design and can be appreciated by anyone who had to use Photoshop a lot.

















Team CMYK
This is for everyone who loves printing. The design of this t-shirt is pretty awesome.

















Electronics
I've decided to include a few electronics stuff because I thought that ad people love this kind of stuff too. You can get these things either through Amazon, or your local electronics retailer.

Monster Beats
If you work in a noisy office, then these are perfect for you. Not only are they noise cancelling headphones, but they also look really awesome too.










The Lion King
I love this movie, and I think it would be a great gift. It will also take a lot of people back to their childhood. Ah, the memories.















The Lord of the Rings
This movie trilogy was amazing. It's even better in high def and in the extended version. If you need any inspiration, this is where it comes from.















Miscellanious
Okay, so you want to give someone an awesome gift, but you have no idea what to give them. Hence this section. It is really off the wall stuff that will anyone who you know is into this kind of stuff. Everything in this section is available from Think Geek.

Guitar Computer Bag
Yes, this apparently actually works, and it looks pretty cool doing it.











Zombie Hoodie
Oooh look, it's got brains inside! If there ever is a zombie attack, this will help you blend in.
















Zombie Hat
This goes perfectly with the zombie hoodie. Also, it's plush and super cute.

















For the Jedi In All Of Us
This robe will totally make you feel like a Jedi. It comes in all different sizes (don't know about Yoda though).














Protect Your Work!
You know. You don't want anyone stealing your work. That goes for creatives and account people too. This is the perfect way to keep people from checking out stuff on your computer when you don't want them too. Just store it in this top secret looking envelope sleeve, and people will stay away (hopefully). Don't worry, it's plush inside to keep your computer protected.




Well, that's my gift guide. I hope you enjoyed it. There should be something for everyone in it I hope. Well, not everyone. I know what I want, and it's a little less tangible than this stuff. My wish is to get an internship in the new year, and I know that that can't be gift wrapped. It's got to come from a lot of hard work and dedication. I sure hope my wish comes true.
That's all for no!

No comments:

Post a Comment