Sunday, October 23, 2011

Book Review: Unleashing The Ideavirus

Book: Unleashing The Ideavirus
Author: Seth Godin

Unleashing The Ideavirus is not a new book. In fact, its over 10 years old. But, a lot of the information in it is still relevant today because of how important the Internet is to peoples' lives.

The book consists of four sections: Why Ideas Matter, How To Unleash An Ideavirus, The Ideavirus Formula, and Case Studies and Riffs. All of the sections in the book do an excellent job of explaining what an ideavirus actually is (I won't spoil it for you, you will actually have to read the book). There are numerous examples given, which help illustrate Godin's point.

The examples do feel dated, probably because I remember that stuff when I was kid and started to first use the Internet. However, they are still relevant because of how important viral marketing has become in recent years.

Overall, Unleashing The Ideavirus is a great book because it was written at the still somewhat early stages of the Internet. Seth Godin is extremely good at predicting things that will happen in the market, but he did make a couple of mistakes that no one could have foreseen at the time, and upon reading them, did make me chuckle a little bit. The first was the way he talked about Palm and what a small company did to promote its services with the Palm Pilot. We all know what happened to the Palm Pilot, and to Palm. But, at the time, both were huge. The second thing was about the Toyota Prius. Godin comments that when the Prius first came out, that it looked boring, and just like any other car. He didn't think that it would take off both because of the look of the car and because a hybrid electric vehicle was a radical idea at the time. We all know what happened here too. Toyota redesigned the Prius and it became fairly popular.

I would definitely reccomend this book to anyone who is interested in learning about viral marketing.

A couple of other things, not related to the book. I know that I haven't been blogging much recently. I've just been too busy and I've been sick too, and very tired. I never finished blogging about Advertising Week, but don't worry, I've got plenty of stuff just waiting to be blogged about from that great event. That will be coming this week. I just felt that I should post a book review since I hadn't done that in a while. Until next time. Don't forget to follow me on Twitter @GalacticGirlx2 for even more insights into what it's like to be an advertising student.

No comments:

Post a Comment