Sunday, June 26, 2011

Book Review: Rethink Reinvent Reposition

Title: Rethink Reinvent Reposition
Authors: Leo Hopf and William Welter
Time for another book review (I read fast)!

Instead of using the full title during this review, I think it will be much easier just to refer to it as Re^3. Re^3 is about how to renew your business. The authors describe at length 12 strategies that can be employed to do just that, especially if your business is in trouble. They also outline traps to avoid, and how to build the next generation of leaders.

Re^3 seemed kind of dry. Probably because this was written for managers and executives of large companies, and not for advertising students. That's not to say that this book was bad by any means, I just think that the project management the authors were talking about in the book was not geared toward smaller businesses or people who are managing small projects. I also felt that the authors were talking down to me when I was reading the book; they did not feel like they were on the same level at all. I would have liked some content that was geared more toward small businesses and small projects instead of almost always using examples of big companies. This made me feel like I was not in their league.

There were definitely a few things that I liked about Re^3. The first thing was the case studies. The authors picked case studies that exemplified the strategies that they were explaining in the book. This was helpful, so that I could actually visualize how each strategy could work. I also really liked the chapter that was about traps that needed to be avoided during the renewal process. I felt that this chapter was probably the most helpful in the book, because it outlined some very common mistakes that managers tend to fall into, and that you should always be on the lookout so that you do not do the same thing.

I'm not sure that I would recommend this book for someone in the ad business, unless they were a high ranking executive. But, for someone like me, I just don't fit the target group that the authors were going after.

I hope that you enjoyed this review. Don't forget to follow me on Twitter: @GalacticGirlx2 for even more insights. Let me know what you think.

Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment