Sunday, June 19, 2011

Book Review: Rework

So here is my first book review. It's all about Rework.

Rework was written by Jason Fried and David Heinemeier Hanson, the founders of 37signals. It is essentially lots of little tidbits of advice in many areas of how to run your business. Why is an advertising student reviewing a business book? Well, this is because planning and management skills are important in any business, for any project. I bought this book because one of my teachers recommended it during my IMC class. I figured that because I am team captain on the IMC project, that I should go check it out; anything to help make me and my team run smoother. Now that I have finished the book, I decided to share my thoughts on it.
I really like how easy it was to read. The chapters were short and to the point, with no filler in between, with really great business examples throughout the book. The chapter titles were really funny. Some of them included:

  • Make a Dent in the Universe
  • Scratch You Own Itch
  • Nobody Likes Plastic Flowers
  • Drug Dealers Get It Right
  • Strangers at a Cocktail Party
The names alone piqued my curiosity when I first picked it up at the book store. The illustrations in the book were really great as well. I like how they went hand in hand with the chapter titles.
Another thing I liked: that the book doesn't talk down to you. The authors wrote in clear and concise sentences that didn't use big words or scary business lingo, they wrote the book as if they were having a conversation with you.

The advice given in Rework is very practical, and most of it can be applied pretty quickly. Two pieces of advice they the authors give really struck me right away: workaholics and resumes. I won't spoil it for you, but I will say that the workaholics chapter really opened my eyes to some of the things that I try to do that really weren't right (i.e. staying up late a lot).

The only negative? I wish this book was longer. Not the chapters or anything, because I love how short and to the point it was. I wish there was more advice given in Rework because I enjoyed reading it so much, that it left me wanting more.

I would recommend this book to anyone who needs to manage a team or a business, because it cuts out the garbage and gives you real world advice.

I hope you enjoyed my first book review. I almost forgot: you can also follow me on Twitter, @GalacticGirlx2 for even more insights into what it is like to be an advertising student.

No comments:

Post a Comment